Thursday 9 February 2012

Patchwork Cushion

This is my first attempt at a patchwork cushion and I'm really pleased to have finished it. All except one of the fabrics have been recycled from old clothing - floral dresses from charity shops and a linen skirt that used to belong to my daughter. The backing is made from left over curtain lining material and the buttons have also been recycled. I also included some hand embroidery - running stitch and french knots.

French Knots in pink, blue & green
The linen skirt fabric already had a machine sewn chain stitch design which I embellished using running stitch.
Running Stitch decoration

I made an envelope backing to the cushion and although I added buttons there are no button holes. Instead I attached popper fastenings behind the buttons to help hold the cushion pad in. I'm hoping to re-learn how to do button holes as I've not attempted them since I was at school (and that was a long time ago......)
Running Stitch and Button decoration


No comments:

Post a Comment